That's a pretty big number. Especially when you find out that is the number of public blogs worldwide. Of course I haven't read them all yet, I'll get to them in due time, but you really feel pretty small when you realize that many people are doing the exact same thing that you are doing. I have noticed in my six short months writing Daddy's in Charge? though what a tight knit group the blogging world can be. Sure there might be 150 million of us out there all competing for page views and unique visitors, but we don't really mind to see the success of our fellow bloggers. I wouldn't call my blog a runaway hit just yet, but it certainly hasn't been a failure either. There are a few blogs that have definitely helped me along the way and others that I think people should be reading if they aren't already.
The first blog that I ever read was called I Read it on the Bathroom Wall. At the time I had never read a blog and what brought me to this blog was that I went to High School with the blogs author Eric. His locker was right next to mine in the hall and we had a lot of classes together but I never considered him a good friend. It's funny when you read something and know the author, even though I hadn't seen him in about twenty years, I could relate to him. He suddenly stopped writing last October and I had no idea why. Fast forward nine months to our 20th High school reunion and I run into Eric. I tell him that I loved his blog and that if there is anyone who should BE a writer it's him. He really is a heck of a wordsmith when he isn't waxing poetically about Natalie Portman. Lo and behold the week after the reunion his blog starts up again and he thanks me for it. I am glad he got back into it, not for my sake, but for him. Hopefully someone will read his blog and see what I see. Someone who has all the ability in the world, but just needs that break to get him on his way.
If there is one blog that inspires me to get better it's Daddy Knows Less. Before we both got in this competition it was the one blog that I would read everyday, or at least when a new post came out. There is something about his writing that inspires me to be a better writer myself. When I began blogging he was one of the first people to offer any sort of encouragement aside from my sister in law and niece. He featured a story I wrote on his site calledTime... It Does go by Fast, to say I was honored was an understatement. You throw these blog posts out not knowing what people really think of them, sure you get some comments and the sort, but for someone to actually feature something that you wrote on their site is just awesome, and especially from someone like him whose writing abilities I respect so much. I will continue to read his blog even if he beats me in this competition, which obviously I hope is not the case.
Twinfamy is a site that has been helping me gather votes through the twitter universe. It's amazing what technology can do. Here is a man who calls himself John Pseudonymous, he lives in Arizona and is a stay at home dad to TWINS. He might as well be my next door neighbor. Everytime that I beg for votes there is "John" retweeting what I said. You don't know how much that means to a person when a total stranger is helping you win a competition, a competition that means nothing to them. You should check out his blog, he is a former middle school English teacher who is now staying home with a twin boy and girl. How even has time to write a blog is beyond me.I've Become My Parents is a blog that I really enjoy. It's nice to be inspired by a blog but sometimes you just need to laugh, and this guy makes me laugh. He is from Vancouver and only he knows who he is, well I guess his son would have an idea too, but you get the point, he's anonymous. I seem to read a lot of Canadian blogs, what the hell does that mean? Am I really some sort of Canuck? And while I am at it what's with all the cloth diapering blogs and blogs about quilting and knitting. I will not mention any of those as I have a quest to destroy the environment one stinky diaper at a time. Anyway, he writes it as advice for his 10 year old son, he's been through what his son is going through, so he knows what he can expect. I find this idea to be a brilliant concept. One which I thought of.
One blog I started reading not too long ago is The Rookie Dad. Having worked at a TV station and having kids of my own I can totally relate to what he is going through. Brandon doesn't pretend to know what he is doing, he makes mistakes, don't we all? I actually never considered anything a mistake, just something I learned from to make myself a better parent. I wish that I started my blog when my kids were his chipmunk's age. I like reading what he is going through with his kid, and picture myself going through the same things. I still consider myself a rookie dad, I mean I never am fully prepared for what my kids might do next. Is anyone?
So that is just five. Only 149,999,995 to go. I am sure there are plenty of awesome ones out there just looking for someone to discover them. I come across new ones everyday so I am keeping my eyes open.
Judges Comments:
"i hadn't thought about how many people are bloggers, its amazing!! These 5 are certainly great and entertaining! i love what you wrote for each one and the reasons you like these blogs! Thank for sharing! They are great! "
Erica, from Good Job Momma
"I like this post not so much because of the style or the writing. Rather, I like the post because it lists a bunch of Dad oriented blogs. So often parenting blogs are by therapists or mommy bloggers. This is a great list for any woman to hand to her man and know he's likely to find something there that he can identify with. And I can't think of anything better for a parenting relationship than validation and touching base with someone who stands where you are.
Good job."
Allison Duncan, from SVALLIE.NET: The Nerd Connection
"Kudos on pimping out the dads. What can I say, I'm drawn to dad blogs for some odd reason.
I like what you said about these guys and I can agree with you on so many of them as all of these are blogs I read on the regular. Great job! "
The Dude, from The Daddyyo Blog
Judges Comments:
"i hadn't thought about how many people are bloggers, its amazing!! These 5 are certainly great and entertaining! i love what you wrote for each one and the reasons you like these blogs! Thank for sharing! They are great! "
Erica, from Good Job Momma
"I like this post not so much because of the style or the writing. Rather, I like the post because it lists a bunch of Dad oriented blogs. So often parenting blogs are by therapists or mommy bloggers. This is a great list for any woman to hand to her man and know he's likely to find something there that he can identify with. And I can't think of anything better for a parenting relationship than validation and touching base with someone who stands where you are.
Good job."
Allison Duncan, from SVALLIE.NET: The Nerd Connection
"Kudos on pimping out the dads. What can I say, I'm drawn to dad blogs for some odd reason.
I like what you said about these guys and I can agree with you on so many of them as all of these are blogs I read on the regular. Great job! "
The Dude, from The Daddyyo Blog




