I tend to put things off. Like blogging, for instance. It took me years to start a blog. Even though I kept thinking, "I have some insightful and funny things to say." And I thought people would find it amusing or poignant, and maybe even like it.
But I kept putting it off because I thought I needed a theme. "No one is just going to read the rantings of some random lunatic," I would tell my wife. (Turns out maybe I was wrong.)
A few months before my daughter was born, angst and anxiety consumed me. I was definitely in denial. I was withdrawn. Not that I wasn't excited. I was just having a hard time expressing my emotions.
![]() |
| Finally, my inspiration was born. |
I had finally found my theme. My daughter would be my inspiration.
Still, I wasn't really blogging. I was just writing stories for a limited audience. For family and friends and co-workers. I wasn't putting myself out there. I never made it public. Until...
Five months ago when I entered a contest on a parenting website. They were looking for the Top 25 Daddy Blogs. It was based purely on votes, not on content. I managed to place twelfth despite my limited audience, mostly due to my penchant to be really annoying when asking for votes.
Like it or not, I was now squarely in the spotlight. I had taken years to start my blog, and now years to take this step.
A few months later, here I was, entering Blogger Idol. Even though at first I told myself I wouldn't. I was still tired of begging for votes from the last contest. But then, I asked myself, "What would I say to my daughter?"
I would tell her to go for it. Don't just put your feet in and test the water. Jump in. Dive in. Do a belly flop. Or a cannonball. Make a splash.
So that's what I did. My audition entry is one of my favorite posts I've written this year. Why? Because in it I achieved all three things I use to describe my blog (courtesy of the late Jim Valvano): I made you laugh, cry, and think. (You can read it by clicking here.)
I am proud to say that at every point in this competition, I have stayed true to myself. Every one of my posts would be something I would post on my blog because it fits in to my theme (The one exception being my rant piece from a few weeks ago, in which I acknowledged I busted the format.)
![]() |
| My and my muse (and my #1 fan) |
My readers have come to expect a gushing post about my wife every now and then. (The most recent one was on her birthday in July.)
A few weeks ago we were asked to write a fiction piece again. This time, we had to pretend we were vampires. I hated this assignment. Hated. It. I thought it was stupid. Once again, I found inspiration in my theme. I drew upon my personal experiences as a dad and a television news producer. I made myself the producer for the Count on Sesame Street. (I thought that was pretty clever.) You'll have to wait for Halloween season to read it on my blog. Again, I'm big on keeping to themes.
You read my posts, whether in this contest or on my blog, and you know what to expect. Not that it's predictable. Sometimes it's ridiculous. Sometimes it's serious. Sometimes it's passionate. But it's always true, honest, and full of love.
During Blogger Idol, I haven't just answered the questions posed in our assignments. I didn't treat my posts as essays, but as part of my narrative as a daddy blogger. You give me an assignment, and I make it my own.
I've come this far thanks to your support. You've seen me take chances like I encourage my daughter to do. You've seen me do that while staying true to myself.
That's gotten me this far. You've gotten me this far.
![]() |
| Let's bring the trophy home! |
That's why I want to win. Because I've done it, as Frank Sinatra said, my way. And you've vindicated me.
Of course I want to win for me, because I'm super competitive. I also want to win for you... I want you to be able to say you backed the right horse.
But mostly, I want to win for her.
**I shared a lot of links above. I'd love it if you took the time to read one or all of them. But I'd love it a lot more if you voted me - JUSTIN - and got me to the finals. Thanks!
Judges Comments:
"I am glad that this competition has continued to spur you on towards your goals and towards growing your talents as a writer. This is something that you most certainly can be proud of when telling your daughter "look what daddy did" someday. The lessons and challenges of this contact have not been lost on you and I have enjoyed reading your posts throughout the competition."
Random Girl, from Random Girl Blog
"Bro, it has been a real honor watching you through this competition. Of course I watch you through your blog, and twitter, and facebook as well. Wait, does that sound stalkerish?
Anyhoo, your drive and passion for keeping it real and open is what attracts me to your work more than anything. You, like me, are not afraid to just lay it out there for the world to see, literally! That is something to be admired and magical to watch grow.
Good luck entering these final rounds! "
The Dude, from The Daddy Yo Blog
"Jeez... did EVERYONE hate the vampire theme? LOL! I love being able to see how much this means to you. And I really love how, no matter what the assignment was, you stuck to being YOU. That is what makes a good writer. Someone who can write about anything, and get it done in their own voice."
Heather, from My Husband Ate All My Ice Cream



