![]() |
| Yeah..but can he hit for average? |
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?" It's such a hard question to answer when you're 8 or 9 or twelve or eighteen. But not now....
Now, I want to be a doctor astronaut actor writer baseball playing head football coach. When I was young I wanted to be a writer...and maybe a baseball player...and a Jedi...in my spare time.
But as I've gotten older...and more things are deemed "highly unlikely" (baseball player, for instance...I'm still holding out for Jedi) there are more things I wish I was able to do. Back when I was young, the idea of going to school forever and being a doctor was ludicrous...today, I'd do it if I could get the chance. Now the idea of helping people every day, easing suffering, saving lives...well that's sounds like a damn fine field to be in...
But can I go through up to 12 years of school and have a family and...any life left after I'm done? Probably not.
I also wanted to be an astronaut...no, check that, I wanted to captain my own starship...but since nobody's made a starship factory yet...(that they'll tell us about...wink...wink...)
And since you actually have to have some experience in football...other than complaining and writing about it...I don't see any NFL team handing the reigns of their franchise over to me...(Even if that never happens...I still married a cheerleader...so we'll scratch that one off as 'close enough'.)
Which leads me right back to where I started at the beginning...a writer. You see, as a writer I can imagine and plant in the minds of my readers what it feels like to be a doctor or an astronaut or a baseball player or a football coach....even a Jedi (Come on Lucas...it's too big to be copyright infringement anymore....)
![]() |
| And those stories will NOT include this guy... |
I will throw sparks off in the minds of generations of readers...
And some day...these stories I've told will hit the big screens...
And then, some day further on...some teenager will walk into the San Diego Comic-Con wearing a costume, trying to emulate characters that I created...probably very poorly.
And George will come knocking on my door...
--DadvAutism
Judges Comments:
"I have been where you are at. I wanted to be James T Kirk as well. I could see myself as the next Jedi as well, ah the power of dreams especially as a child. I love the idea that you have about being a writer. What do you hope to write? Have you started anything? I would have loved to have heard about that if you had.
You also have had a great life, or so it seems thus far.
I would tell you though that is you have a dream, reach for it. I work at a Law School for my day job and we have people of all ages coming to law school. We even had a 70+ individual start in law school a few years back. This may seem odd, but it was his dream and he achieved the goal that he set for himself in the end and so can you, never forget it!"
Chris, from Dad of Divas
"My favorite line? "I will throw sparks off in the minds of generations of readers..."
Your connection of how being a writer opens the doors for you to live any career, take on any challenge, create any universe, is really a powerful way to look at it. As long as it doesn't become an excuse to really pursue any of those dreams in real life. Sharing your adventures may inspire others in a way that you could never imagine."
Random Girl, from Random Girl Blogs
"You should decorate your office to look like the deck of a starship... just sayin'. This was a really good post. I liked the part about how being a writer can give you the opportunity to really be anything you want, anywhere you want it to happen."
Heather, from My Husband Ate All My Ice Cream


