What if I told you there were hundreds of millions of tax dollars not being collected? Or that there are hundreds of jobs in each state waiting to be filled? Now what if I told you that the legalization of marijuana could solve those issues and even more? I have never smoked marijuana in my life and even I am interested by the thought of this. And if you are a fan of personal freedom, budget surpluses and America, you should too.
Ending the failed prohibition of marijuana and regulating it like tobacco and alcohol is the next and only rational step in creating a new industry where struggling state economies can rebound by adding more jobs and collecting millions in tax revenue. Tax revenues from the regulation of marijuana could help fund education, civil services and infrastructure. This new industry would also create hundreds or thousands of new jobs from retail sales to marketing to transportation.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there has never been a reported fatal dose of marijuana, where alcohol alone accounts for nearly 40,000 deaths annually. There has been no cancer related deaths attributed to marijuana, where tobacco and alcohol contribute to hundreds of thousands of deaths each year through various diseases and cancers. Cannabis is also far less addictive than alcohol and tobacco. Plus, how many angry potheads do you know? Regulating marijuana and taxing it would keep prices stable, undercut the criminal element and remove a majority of sales from the streets. A consumer would know the cannabis they are getting is of better quality and for less money, thus removing violent drug gangs from the equation. Marijuana would no longer be considered a "gateway drug" because your drug dealer would be a wage earning, tax paying employee who only sells cannabis, not some neighborhood drug dealer who also sells crack, heroine, cocaine and crystal meth. Would you rather get your fix from a dude with a Glock or that really nice lady who calls you "sweetie?"
Regulation would be the same as a typical transaction at a liquor store. A person would have to produce a state identification card and be of legal age in order to purchase cannabis. The same intoxication laws would still be enforceable too. Driving under the influence of marijuana would carry the same punishment as driving while under the influence of alcohol. The police would just catch everyone at a drive-thru lane anyhow.
Currently, seventeen states and the District of Columbia have passed legislation regarding the use of medical marijuana. Three more states, Colorado, Washington and Oregon have legislation on the ballets this November. In Washington, Initiative 502, would impose a 25% tax on marijuana and generate an additional half a billion dollars of tax revenue annually. What could your state do with an extra half a billion dollars in tax revenue a year? How many teachers and civil servants would keep their jobs? How many schools would get much needed funding? That pothole that you always hit on your way to work, fixed. Those outdated history textbooks your children read in school, replaced. Your lifelong wish to have a Taco Bell on every corner, coming soon.The black market for marijuana is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. Why should drug cartels and criminals benefit from our desire to smoke weed? With prohibition being an utter failure, every state should make the smart business decision and pay attention to the positive smoke signals and legalize marijuana.
Judges Comments:
Well done. You bombarded us with facts. Some might argue too many facts. But I think they were relevant and clear, and you broke it up by sprinkling in your own brand of humor. You took a firm stand and you did so even though you have no skin in the game. (Not a pot guy.) That's really cool. It shows that, yes, political people, there are independent thinkers out there who have an informed opinion on the issues. You, my friend, are an independent thinker and did a great job here.
-From Daddy Knows Less
You went with a topic that can spark a lot of debate from both sides of the issue. It's a post that can have people arguing for hours and still not agree. A post that can do that is a good post. On a post like this you need facts and you had them, but you also had an unbiased opinion which was great... good job.
-From Daddy's In Charge?
I am already on board with this issue, so I was pleased to see the facts laid out so carefully and thoroughly. You made clear and convincing arguments to support the premise that pot should be legal. I loved the photo of the kind woman smiling from behind the counter of the dispensary. Cleared the bases with this one. I liked it a lot.
-From The Klonopin Chronicles (Guest Judge)
Great choice of topic - one on which there is no shortage of debate. You laid out the facts and interjected little bits of humor, without going over-the-top. I would have liked to have seen more links to specific references - something that could be used to instantly refute the people who disagreed with your stance. Overall I thought that you did an excellent job on a touchy subject. Nicely done!
-From Non-Stop Mom
While I liked your topic, I had issues with your lack of facts. You have only 2 links in the entire post, and one just takes us to the CDC home page. There aren't any links to articles or info verifying your statements. I had to do my own research, which is fine, but it took me away from your post.
Some of your numbers are off, and some of your statements cannot be proven as fact. I am a non-smoking supporter of legalized marijuana, myself, so I appreciated your standpoint. It was just not factual enough for me. Plus, there were some minor technical issues that probably wouldn't have bugged me if it weren't for the other issues I had with the post.
Overall it's a fine post, it just wasn't your best.
-From Pinwheels and Poppies
I like the way you presented your facts and arguments. I think it was very logical and you might just make people rethink their stance on this subject. It would probably have made your argument stronger if, after stating that 17 states & DC have legalized it, you had cited a specific example of a state that benefited from it. Overall, I think it was well-written and is a post worth reading.
-From Bay Area Mommy
Well done! I disagreed with some of your facts- but a quick internet search came up with the facts you gave and the ones I knew...so that's a sourcing issue not a writer issue. Straight forward, nice blue print and you quickly answered any "yeah buts" that popped into my head. Added bonus for staying true to your voice and sprinkling in your humor. I'd share this!
-From Honey Badger Press
.jpg)
Nicely done - I liked the facts, reasonable thinking, and the humor. XO
ReplyDeleteLOVED it! Couldn't agree more!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100%. I've been saying for years that the legalization of marijuana and gay marriage could do great things for our economy!
ReplyDeleteCinko for President!
ReplyDeleteVery well said! Loved the mixture of facts with humor!
ReplyDelete